Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Speaking Of Re-Locating.....

Have you been keeping up with all the politicians and their promises..."if I'm elected...".  Well, I keep up and then I step away, then I refresh and so on.  I'm  not immersed in it, but I do need to keep abreast of what's being said and done.  This post has nothing to do with the current news, aren't you happy?
I want to share two books I've recently read.  Both great reads.  They are about the White House, and the presidents, first ladies and families who have re-located to live there.  The first one is written by J.B. West, Chief Usher at the White House at one time.  Available on Amazon.
He chronicles the lives of the First Ladies from Roosevelt to Kennedy.  How they adjusted, or didn't adjust to their new home and the changes they made.  He writes with insight that only the Chief Usher and staff could witness. You may be surprised at the private personalities shared in this book!
Second is a similar book titled "The Residence:  Inside The Private World of The White House" by Kate Anderson Brower. This begins with the Kennedy's and continues right up to the Obama's. Also available on Amazon.
No one can tell the stories that actually makes live the attitudes and personalities of the First Families like those who work side by side with them.  Every one from the florist, electricians, to the plumber who actually had a breakdown after trying to please Lyndon Johnson's demand for his perfect shower.  There are soft, human moments, funny and heartbreaking moments.
If you read these books, I sincerely hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
Can you guess who came across as the easiest and approachable family?

1 comment:

  1. These books sound like such fun! I may to check them out. :)

    ReplyDelete