Saturday, August 1, 2015

So Thirsty


We're just coming out of a several days of some very high temperatures.  I put off leaving the house unless necessary, knowing that sooner or later, we would have a break in temps.
During this hot spell, the warning of excessive temps came across my cell phone.  I thought of all the people that weren't as fortunate as I.  Those who work on our roads, came to mind immediately.  I'm certain you've seen them.   There are out there, wearing brightly colored safety vest and hard hats, their faces red from the heat, and if you touched those red faces, it would be hot to your hand.  Perspiration soaks their clothes and drips down their heads, stinging the eyes with it's saltiness as it works it way down the face and neck.    With their mouths so dry the tongue must stick to the roof, they are longing for a drink of cold water; and their body has to have it.  The thirst is strong, the throat is parched and even the muscles ache and cramp from lack of hydration.  So Thirsty.  Have you ever had that feeling?  Please....I need a drink of water!
We were created with thirst.  It reminds us to replace what the body needs to keep alive.  In the winter the thirst is still there, it does not disappear when the weather changes.  We hydrate and the body uses it up, but  we can never say that's enough, we will always need  more.  It remains a constant, and it has to be re-supplied.
That same thirst, exists in our spirit life.  There is a thirst so deep for God, it has to be filled daily or we dry up.  If we ignore that Spiritual thirst, in time our inner soul becomes like a desert.  The soil is so dry it cracks, it's barren and nothing grows there.  We  wonder why we feel so empty, why aren't we blooming and feeling the living water flow through us?  We feel like a cactus, with pointy spines, and people may hesitate to come close, we seem that miserable.     Oh, the cactus holds a bit of water, enough to keep it alive, but we have access to so much more then the cactus!
Why just exist like a plant in the desert?  Seek the Lord, thank Him for all His goodness, let Him quench your thirst of your soul....not just once, but over and over!

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life.  Who ever comes to me will never go hungry, and who ever believes on me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35 NIV


3 comments:

  1. What a good comparison - and easy to relate to after this hot week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this Pat! I have experienced this thirst of late and it seems more consuming that at any time in my life. I believe it is because our Lord's return is nearer every day! This is beautiful, so inspirational. Thank you for this timely reminder to replenish our souls! Love you, my sister!

    ReplyDelete